After you have the basics covered, you might want to add a touch of your personal style to your closet. Choose details that reflect the beauty and design of your home.
- Crown molding can add just the right finishing touch for a cabinet system in a traditional-style closet.
- Custom and semi-custom cabinet doors for closets are available with beaded trim, raised panels and many types of glass inserts.
- Make your closet "green" by using panel inserts made from eco-friendly resins, veneer panels made from sustainable bamboo, or water-based stains and paints with low VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
- All kinds of knobs and closet hardware, from contemporary to Old-World, are a budget-friendly way to add flair. Handles with rope trim or knobs with oil-rubbed finishes offer a distinctive look.
- Many closet systems offer panel fronts with rich wood and wood-inspired finishes, including chestnut, light maple, rich cherry, oak, walnut or white pine.
- Painting the inside walls of a butler's pantry a vivid color can provide a striking backdrop for a closet filled with white dishes and clear glasses.